When I was about six years old I saw the movie Sneakers, which involves an answering machine that could control life as we know it. Fascinated, I asked my parents for their broken answering machine. I wanted to take it apart – and what I found inside was a world of knowledge.
This moment from my childhood stands out, though it is not alone. I often think about how things are built, as well as how and why they work the way they do. The way things are designed captures my attention and opens up my imagination.
Interactive Multimedia Designer
2010 – Present
Designing educational tools.
Visual & Interactive Designer
May 2014 – March 2016
Clients often need multiple forms of communication to reach their audience therefore I often have to shift gears and create in other areas of design to produce content that can spread across multiple forms of media such as print and digital devices.
- print design
- designed brand identities & collateral
- mobile app design
- responsive web design & development
- video production & editing
- piloting octocopter for aerial video
- studio equipment organization and management
TA – School of Design
Kansas City Art Institute
Mar 2013 – May 2013
Provided art direction to 18 students in a typography class. I was asked by KCAI to continue providing direction in a class about creating narratives. Worked with students to create linear and nonlinear narratives, which involved critiquing interface design, ensuring cognition of all components of an interface. Assisted with technology and assisted in ideation.
Graphic User Interface Designer
Eisterhold & Associates
Sep 2012 – Mar 2013
Interpreted client brief into graphic user experience for interactive museum exhibits. Designed graphics for exhibit texts. Designed motion graphics and interfaces. Created presentations for new business.
- Working collaboratively on a team of researchers, content developers, exhibit designers, interaction designers and programmers
- Helping to guide the visual development and user experience for a variety of touchscreen devices
- Creating wireframes, flowcharts, and design specifications for a broad system of graphic user interfaces for some 40+ interactive programs
- Visual storytelling, ideation and sketching, GUI concepts, visual interface design, and data visualization
- Production of pixel-perfect graphic templates to be provided for the media producers and programmers
- Interpreting needs, objectives, and direction from multiple sources of input to ensure design concepts meet overall design direction and goals
Moonshoot Innovation Lab: Designer & Developer
Barkley Evergreen & Partners
Jul 2011 – Feb 2012
Activities included experimental projects, rapid prototyping, cross-disciplinary collaborations, and contributing visual design expertise to creative technology experiences based on these activities for agency clients. Created content and design materials to promote the Moonshot brand across all channels.
- Graphic design, video editing, web design, fine arts skills, project conceptualization, ideation and execution.
- Designed visual (graphic, interactive, environmental) elements of projects.
- Hired to hack – as one of the first team members of Moonshot, Barkley’s newly created innovation lab.
- Research and predicted technologies and how those technologies will impact markets and business goals. Learning to use new technologies and finding applications for them.
- Moonshot Innovation Lab: identity logo and design.
- Created, maintained, and evolved the visual language of the Moonshot brand across all platforms.
- Created materials to promote the Moonshot internally and externally.
- Consumer loyalty apps: iPhone and iPad app design for new business pitches and current clients.
- Infographic design: for new business pitches.
This is a link to the Kinect Holiday Display. A Kinect, a Christmas tree, lights, and a toy train were used to create a fun, interactive holiday display. I produced the hardware to control the lights and train via Arduino Uno, Alan did the programming.
Kaufman Performing Arts Center
Jan 2009 – Aug 2010
Worked with team to design and install a mural in the Kaufman Performing Arts Center.
May 2010 – Aug 2010
Worked with Brayman to develop interactive ceramics
Kansas City Art Institute
Aug 2007 – May 2011
Recieved BFA from School of Design
Design Ignites Change
Given to students whose innovative project ideas have the potential to ignite positive social change. Concepts may range from the pragmatic to the provocative, from the feasible to the fanciful, as long as they address a pressing social need within a community and apply innovation and design thinking to solve a problem.
National Gold Addy Award
American Advertising Federation (AAF) – ADDY Award – Graffiti Individual and Community poster
Judges Citation Award